Skip to main content

Vancouver, British Columbia

Boogie Bear and I thoroughly enjoyed our two days in Vancouver.

     The parents of Fiona, my last WWOOFing host, live in North Vancouver and are absolutely wonderful. They've opened their doors to me for my little sejour in Vancouver- not only that, but after picking me up from the Seabus station I was hailed as elegant and offered a glass of wine. Following a six-hour Greyhound bus ride and the customary short hike with the 80-litre backpack, this was more than welcome.
     This morning was spent walking through the Capilano Canyon with the dogs, before I jumped back on the Seabus and into the big city of Vancouver. From thousand-year-old trees to skyscrapers, I wandered a little bemusedly through city streets and the glittering Downtown all spruced up for the Olympics. This is all only a short walk from Gastown, the infamous Amsterdam Café, Chinatown and finally the eastern edges and the highway. Staying on a single road there is a tangible difference in the air as you clutch your camera closer to you and try to hide your full-colour city map.
     Surrounded by water, and bordered by twin bridges, Granville Island sits cosy in the middle of the city. Accessible only by ferry, it is dedicated to two of the world's greatest things- theatre and food. If I had infinite pocket-money and unrestricted access to liposuction, I could stay here all day. Instead, Boogie Bear and I will have to content ourselves with a Cabbage Roll and the local delicacy of the Nanaimo Bar.

     There are a couple of bike rental places just outside Stanley Park, the huge grass-and-lagoon-smothered peninsula about a half hour's walk from Downtown. It's this that I love in coastal cities- the transition from glittering buildings to seedy backdrop and then out to the huge expanse of water which made it prosper way back when. A cycle path runs 8km around the park, and that's where I spent my first hour on the bike, heading out to Jericho Beach where I found chips and the only Canadians with bad intentions.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "9ème art" of the Graphic Novel

Images from the Cité du Livre website Festival de Bande Dessinée, Cité du Livre, Aix-en-Provence For some reason I've never been here before. For some reason it's taken this bibliophile seven months to figure out that there is a place in Aix-en-Provence devoted to literature, a place whose name in Google Translate produces variations on the theme of Book City, Book Estate and Book Ghetto. The books, they are huge. We have discussed before how I feel about books. Books which I recently blabbered about in a vlog are here reproduced in thirty-foot-high concrete form and act as a simple external wall to the Book Ghetto. They are huge. I felt a few tears when I first saw them. Hidden unjustly away behind the gare routière , the Cité du Livre played host this month to a graphic novel festival whose speakers ranged from authors to graffiti artists, and whose slightly shabby walls were transformed into booths full of first drafts, coloured panels and authors' not

Wild and Free!

     Well, perhaps not strictly free, I'm yet to ask the owners' permission...      I've mentioned before the abundance of weird and wonderful fruit growing around Aix- while at home we're surrounded by blackberries and maybe the occasional sloe, the South of France's climate and soil mean the local flora are just about as strange and foreign as the University system.           First up is the humble fig. These are a long way off being ripe, but I always check them anyway on my way into Uni. The tree is in someone's garden but hangs over onto the road quite a bit, and, as my good friend Steph pointed out, for some reason smells like coconut. Both this and all the chestnut trees around make me a little nostalgic of my days as a Wwoofeuse near Alès.      I think these are walnuts, although I don't have my Kernel Identification badge so my quick Google search will have to suffice for now. These were spotted on my way to the supermarket,

Writing CV

Let's talk:   jenni.ajderian@gmail.com Mild-mannered professional Linguist by day, crime-fighting writer and editor by night. Currently protecting the mean streets of Dublin from bad content. "She's one of the good ones" -  FringePig "Best. Review. Ever." -  @ObjectiveTalent "This interview has won #edfringe" -  @FredRAlexander "I think this is the nicest review I've ever received." -  @DouglasSits "Do you give lessons? Jus askin..." -  @RockyFlintstone FedEx Digital Infinite Beta blog  - 2017 I worked with FedEx Digital as a Technical Copywriter (more info on my  LinkedIn Profile ) and produced sassy content for their Infinite Beta blog. The tone here is informal and personable, the aim being to show some personality and attract future team members to the company. How to explain your job title Automated content checkers   Technology predictions for 2018  (I wasn't too far off) 3di Technical Commu