Skip to main content

Nelson, British Columbia

There are numerous advantages to WWOOFing or CouchSurfing instead of just crashing in a hotel.
     There's the free food, free roof over your head, the skills you learn- but most importantly, there's your host. Without this person letting you take up some of their personal space for a while, you'd never get so much of an insight into someone else's life, and never get to muscle in on certain experiences orchestrated by a friend-of-a-friend.
     I sure as hell never would have been to a Sweat Lodge if I was just in the Best Western down the street.
     The people at Buie's place were up on the hill at 9am building the fire and preparing the grandfathers- the heated rocks -for the lodge, so that by the time we got there a couple of hours later, the two fire demons were well practised in levering another log onto the great tipi of heat. Behind it our Elder stood whittling what looked like a longbow.





What followed was an introduction to the group, which was over thirty of us, and a runthrough of the ritual of the lodge. There were four doors, or rounds, each with its own meaning, compass direction, spirit animal and essential oil to be remembered, and with that we stripped off to bare essentials and climbed in the little hut.
     It was cramped. Thirty people in a space maybe eight foot in diameter and four foot tall? Ouch. Two of my toes went purple. The dark was absolute and the heat intense. Each grandfather was welcomed to the lodge and spirits were called upon first by our Elder and then by those who wanted to speak in our steamy congregation in a kind of open-floor setting. People called on Forgiveness and Truth, Sky and Sea to guide and help them in their lives.
     After each timeless round there was a short break, the door was opened, and a world of silhouettes and mist crept in. I opted for staying in the rapidly cooling lodge instead of running around in the freezing April air outside between rounds, both because I figured I'd get less of a shock from the temperature change and because only one of my feet was responding.
     As we moved past Calling and into Healing, songs were sung in various languages, from Spanish to Native American and even a round of Lean On Me. The pleas to the spirits became more and more emotional. Secrets revealed to Mother Earth became more and more cathartic, voices often choked with tears. Each was encouraged and replied to with “Aho”, or “All my relations”, a kind of Amen of the Native Americans, I guess.
     In the Door of Gratitude I spoke up and thanked Canada for being so good to me, saying I'd been here two weeks and not met a single person I didn't like, which got one of the few laughs of the session.
     After nearly four hours of sitting in the steamy dark, we all emerged drenched in sweat and more than a little dazed. Food was shared, jumpers and jeans put back on, and people bumped off back down the mountainside in their 4x4s.
     Joel, my faithful co-WWOOFer, asked me what I thought of it. He seems like an old hand at things like this, having been to a few Sweat Lodges before, as well as spending a month meditating and chanting and working seven-hour days in what sounded an awful lot like a monastery.
     I came up with the word Weird. Then Intense. It was more ritualistic than I was expecting, and a lot more emotional, and I was surprised by how supportive the setting was. The simple “Aho” became more than just an acknowledgement- it became a nod of agreement, of consent, of understanding.
     One woman who shared during the Healing round caused a great hum to come out of the sweaters. Thirty voices all sounding and resounding as one- pitches and volumes intermingling and fluctuating.
          Even to a sceptic, it sounded like the earth was moving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "9ème art" of the Graphic Novel

Images from the Cité du Livre website Festival de Bande Dessinée, Cité du Livre, Aix-en-Provence For some reason I've never been here before. For some reason it's taken this bibliophile seven months to figure out that there is a place in Aix-en-Provence devoted to literature, a place whose name in Google Translate produces variations on the theme of Book City, Book Estate and Book Ghetto. The books, they are huge. We have discussed before how I feel about books. Books which I recently blabbered about in a vlog are here reproduced in thirty-foot-high concrete form and act as a simple external wall to the Book Ghetto. They are huge. I felt a few tears when I first saw them. Hidden unjustly away behind the gare routière , the Cité du Livre played host this month to a graphic novel festival whose speakers ranged from authors to graffiti artists, and whose slightly shabby walls were transformed into booths full of first drafts, coloured panels and authors' not

Wild and Free!

     Well, perhaps not strictly free, I'm yet to ask the owners' permission...      I've mentioned before the abundance of weird and wonderful fruit growing around Aix- while at home we're surrounded by blackberries and maybe the occasional sloe, the South of France's climate and soil mean the local flora are just about as strange and foreign as the University system.           First up is the humble fig. These are a long way off being ripe, but I always check them anyway on my way into Uni. The tree is in someone's garden but hangs over onto the road quite a bit, and, as my good friend Steph pointed out, for some reason smells like coconut. Both this and all the chestnut trees around make me a little nostalgic of my days as a Wwoofeuse near Alès.      I think these are walnuts, although I don't have my Kernel Identification badge so my quick Google search will have to suffice for now. These were spotted on my way to the supermarket,

Writing CV

Let's talk:   jenni.ajderian@gmail.com Mild-mannered professional Linguist by day, crime-fighting writer and editor by night. Currently protecting the mean streets of Dublin from bad content. "She's one of the good ones" -  FringePig "Best. Review. Ever." -  @ObjectiveTalent "This interview has won #edfringe" -  @FredRAlexander "I think this is the nicest review I've ever received." -  @DouglasSits "Do you give lessons? Jus askin..." -  @RockyFlintstone FedEx Digital Infinite Beta blog  - 2017 I worked with FedEx Digital as a Technical Copywriter (more info on my  LinkedIn Profile ) and produced sassy content for their Infinite Beta blog. The tone here is informal and personable, the aim being to show some personality and attract future team members to the company. How to explain your job title Automated content checkers   Technology predictions for 2018  (I wasn't too far off) 3di Technical Commu