Skip to main content

Up and Away

     I sat on the edge of the wall and held my arms out so I could no longer see it under me. Though I'm well aware that Mont Ste Victoire has been solidly standing for a thousand times longer than I will ever live, and the wall was probably put there a hundred years before I was born, I could feel them both move under me.
     In the 1870s a troupe of church-goers did the same two-and-a-half hour hike I had just done, but with ten feet of metal on their backs. The cross now erected on the peak of Mont St Victoire is visible from miles away, has now rusted and charred in a hundred and fifty years of weathering, and makes a simple, omnipresent statement: we were here.
     It's easy to see why people build churches on high points. The walk up took us sixteen Erasmus students from sea-level to over a kilometre in the air, and each rest-stop was punctuated with sounds of awe and breathless, admiration-filled statements. In our last half hour, barely anyone spoke as we navigated the loose gravel and white stones that litter the sheer path to the top. It did feel like a pilgramage, but, for most of us, not a religious one.
     We were, nevertheless, heading for the church. If trekking up carrying just what one might need for a night's stay on a mountain was hard - sleeping bag, two jumpers, 50cl of rum and some brioche - I can't imagine the strength it must have taken to get all sorts of building materials way up there, and how many nights in the open it must have taken. For us, hundreds of years later, there is the church and a long dining hall to sleep in, and every inch was filled with trekkers speaking French, English and German, resting tired feet and playing very heated games of dominos.
     Fortunately we were sharing the church with some French boyscouts who very generously lit our fire for us, and then proceeded to sit around their own and harmoniously sing something that would have been more at home in a monastary than next to us rowdy anglophones. We responded in kind with shouts of Wonderwall, American Pie and Hotel California, but the French drowned us out with cries of disgust when someone chimed in with You Don't Know You're Beautiful...
     The church was not cold to sleep in. I didn't touch my second jumper, or my hastily-packed ski socks. La chaleur humaine, the embers of a fire, and, maybe, the rum, kept us all so warm a few of us went to sleep outside and spooned under the stars.
     This mountain, this feat of human tenacity and strength, the church, the stars, all of it- is just twenty minutes away from central Aix-en-Provence by bus. The bus costs one euro. The only reason I'm not going back as soon as my timetable allows is that singing into a fire and walking up and down mountains does not do good things to the human body. My throat hurts. My head hurts. My face hurts. My arms, legs, back and, well, just about any other body part you care to name, hurts. I have scratches down my arms from swinging around trees, and my nose is running like nobody's business. But as soon as I'm back in shape, I'll be up there again, trekking the pilgrimage to the stars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "9ème art" of the Graphic Novel

Images from the Cité du Livre website Festival de Bande Dessinée, Cité du Livre, Aix-en-Provence For some reason I've never been here before. For some reason it's taken this bibliophile seven months to figure out that there is a place in Aix-en-Provence devoted to literature, a place whose name in Google Translate produces variations on the theme of Book City, Book Estate and Book Ghetto. The books, they are huge. We have discussed before how I feel about books. Books which I recently blabbered about in a vlog are here reproduced in thirty-foot-high concrete form and act as a simple external wall to the Book Ghetto. They are huge. I felt a few tears when I first saw them. Hidden unjustly away behind the gare routière , the Cité du Livre played host this month to a graphic novel festival whose speakers ranged from authors to graffiti artists, and whose slightly shabby walls were transformed into booths full of first drafts, coloured panels and authors' not

Wild and Free!

     Well, perhaps not strictly free, I'm yet to ask the owners' permission...      I've mentioned before the abundance of weird and wonderful fruit growing around Aix- while at home we're surrounded by blackberries and maybe the occasional sloe, the South of France's climate and soil mean the local flora are just about as strange and foreign as the University system.           First up is the humble fig. These are a long way off being ripe, but I always check them anyway on my way into Uni. The tree is in someone's garden but hangs over onto the road quite a bit, and, as my good friend Steph pointed out, for some reason smells like coconut. Both this and all the chestnut trees around make me a little nostalgic of my days as a Wwoofeuse near Alès.      I think these are walnuts, although I don't have my Kernel Identification badge so my quick Google search will have to suffice for now. These were spotted on my way to the supermarket,

Writing CV

Let's talk:   jenni.ajderian@gmail.com Mild-mannered professional Linguist by day, crime-fighting writer and editor by night. Currently protecting the mean streets of Dublin from bad content. "She's one of the good ones" -  FringePig "Best. Review. Ever." -  @ObjectiveTalent "This interview has won #edfringe" -  @FredRAlexander "I think this is the nicest review I've ever received." -  @DouglasSits "Do you give lessons? Jus askin..." -  @RockyFlintstone FedEx Digital Infinite Beta blog  - 2017 I worked with FedEx Digital as a Technical Copywriter (more info on my  LinkedIn Profile ) and produced sassy content for their Infinite Beta blog. The tone here is informal and personable, the aim being to show some personality and attract future team members to the company. How to explain your job title Automated content checkers   Technology predictions for 2018  (I wasn't too far off) 3di Technical Commu