Skip to main content

Paolo Nutini - Sunny Side Up

Paolo Nutini has been sitting under a strange kind of sun lately.
     2009's Sunny Side Up album may have won him a Brit Awards nomination, but I think Nutini fans may be a little disappointed by the songs that make it up. If you were expecting something of the same calibre as the single Pencil Full of Lead, you're in for a surprise- aside from the misleadingly upbeat 10/10 which heads up the twelve-track CD, the album is mostly populated by reflective, ambiguous, mellow songs. Some are even a bit slushy. Maybe this was the reason for the eggs in the title.
     A couple of years ago my mum and sister saw dear Paolo at Glastonbury singing I Wanna Be Like You to a toy orangutan, drunk as a lord. But here Nutini's certainly sounding more mature and sober- his vocals deepen one minute and croon in falsetto the next, his guitar swaps between chugging through a country chord sequence and humming melodiously under borderline-religious lyrics. The track Coming Up Easy speaks of being purified by rain and 'created in love', while a later track is entitled simply Chamber Music, and the final track, Keep Rolling, could easily be sung my a church choir with its harmonious backing vocals and organ-like drone.
     Maybe he has grown up since 2006's These Streets, from which the incredibly sexy Loving You and New Shoes are a far cry from Simple Things and Worried Man. These last two, in fact, remind me far more of another singer-songwriter with a partiality to booze- the walking bass and lyrics made me think of Johnny Cash, particularly the line- 'help him Jesus, help him to walk along the line/because he thinks he's getting old before his time'.
     I hope the Worried Man Nutini's lamenting isn't himself. But maybe with worry comes maturity, as seen in lyrics and the album literature- in search of revealing sleevenotes I found a drawing on the very first page entitled 'Paolo and Delilah in Daddy's studio'. Has the singer-songwriter settled down with his songs and thoughts of kids? Perhaps. I'd be interested to see him live now.
          Though maybe the orangutan would be kept backstage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "9ème art" of the Graphic Novel

Images from the Cité du Livre website Festival de Bande Dessinée, Cité du Livre, Aix-en-Provence For some reason I've never been here before. For some reason it's taken this bibliophile seven months to figure out that there is a place in Aix-en-Provence devoted to literature, a place whose name in Google Translate produces variations on the theme of Book City, Book Estate and Book Ghetto. The books, they are huge. We have discussed before how I feel about books. Books which I recently blabbered about in a vlog are here reproduced in thirty-foot-high concrete form and act as a simple external wall to the Book Ghetto. They are huge. I felt a few tears when I first saw them. Hidden unjustly away behind the gare routière , the Cité du Livre played host this month to a graphic novel festival whose speakers ranged from authors to graffiti artists, and whose slightly shabby walls were transformed into booths full of first drafts, coloured panels and authors' not

Wild and Free!

     Well, perhaps not strictly free, I'm yet to ask the owners' permission...      I've mentioned before the abundance of weird and wonderful fruit growing around Aix- while at home we're surrounded by blackberries and maybe the occasional sloe, the South of France's climate and soil mean the local flora are just about as strange and foreign as the University system.           First up is the humble fig. These are a long way off being ripe, but I always check them anyway on my way into Uni. The tree is in someone's garden but hangs over onto the road quite a bit, and, as my good friend Steph pointed out, for some reason smells like coconut. Both this and all the chestnut trees around make me a little nostalgic of my days as a Wwoofeuse near Alès.      I think these are walnuts, although I don't have my Kernel Identification badge so my quick Google search will have to suffice for now. These were spotted on my way to the supermarket,

Writing CV

Let's talk:   jenni.ajderian@gmail.com Mild-mannered professional Linguist by day, crime-fighting writer and editor by night. Currently protecting the mean streets of Dublin from bad content. "She's one of the good ones" -  FringePig "Best. Review. Ever." -  @ObjectiveTalent "This interview has won #edfringe" -  @FredRAlexander "I think this is the nicest review I've ever received." -  @DouglasSits "Do you give lessons? Jus askin..." -  @RockyFlintstone FedEx Digital Infinite Beta blog  - 2017 I worked with FedEx Digital as a Technical Copywriter (more info on my  LinkedIn Profile ) and produced sassy content for their Infinite Beta blog. The tone here is informal and personable, the aim being to show some personality and attract future team members to the company. How to explain your job title Automated content checkers   Technology predictions for 2018  (I wasn't too far off) 3di Technical Commu