Skip to main content

Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

I'm adding them on Facebook. I'm reading through their MySpace looking for gigs in Bristol. I'm wailing along with their songs and learning to play them all on guitar. I think it's love.
     Mumford and Sons' album Sigh No More currently has pride of place in my CD collection. The London quartet, formed a scant two years ago, have been nominated for scores of awards by the NME, XFM, triple-J and probably quite a few other acronymous music awarding bodies in categories toasting New Music and Breakthrough Acts. But the music they're playing is far from new- the four bonded over a love of Bluegrass, Folk, Country... The acoustic guitar, the banjo, the references to crops and harvests are normally present in a kind of music associated with old men in pubs and slender women with flowers in their hair. So what is it about Marcus Mumford, Country Winston, Ben Lovett and Ted Dwane which gives their version of Folk such a huge popular appeal? Why are they played alongside Placebo and the Arctic Monkeys, when they may actually be more akin- in sound, anyway- to Mandelinky or Neil Young?
     The boys are currently in tour in Australia, far from the Winter Winds they lament so beautifully. After playing to sell-out crowds Down Under, they're going across the pond to visit America & Canada (shows in four cities sold out), then it's back for a festival in Paris and a run around the UK (twelve cities, yup, you guessed it, sold out). On their MySpace page, fanatics from the world over rave about seeing them, or even, as one Canadian girl professes, having to pay $210 for a pair of tickets, a markup which she's sure "will be worth it".
     Oddly in a band so young, their reputation preceeds them. This jolly around the world comes after only a couple of years' hard graft gigging as a band- before that they were each playing various instruments in various bands around London. And this, I think, is the key to their success. Far from the one-hit wonders who can program a track into their Apple Macs like there's no tomorrow, Mumford and Sons started out gigging and simply carried on, being swept up in a wave of success unexpectedly as they went along. Their website's biography confesses their low expectations in making it in the "pretty daunting London music scene", and rightly so- bars across the country are awash with unsigned bands each hoping for their shot at making it, and most of them won't.
     But here is a double bass, a banjo, an acoustic guitar and a piano that have shot into the sky and just keep going. Four haunting voices lamenting a love and a regret with a few nods to "the faith I left behind" to bring them above the layer of new bands thick as clouds, then add in a drumbeat as simple as a heartbeat, the odd trumpet solo, and we're away. Meanwhile, videos stream all over the internet showing them clothed in linen waistcoats standing in fields, making us all long for the festivals where they so rightly belong.
     I kicked myself when I found out they were at Glastonbury this year and I missed them. I need them to be there this year or I might just declare myself heartbroken. It's real this time. I haven't felt this way since The Killers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Populaire - film review

     In the 50s, having a job as a secretary may have been considered modern, or even empowering, but mostly, as Rose Pamphyle (Déborah Francois) says in her job interview, it's the chance to work for an important man. Seen in this light, the rise and fall of a Speed-Typing champion is just as much to do with a woman's personal victory as it is to do with her boss' encouragement and coaching, as well as the freedom he allows her to have.      In the film, and in life, the Speed-Typing Championship probably stemmed from a cigar-fuelled "I bet my secretary types faster than yours" argument, and the exclusively female competitors inhabit a space somewhere between real sportsman(woman?)ship and simply being allowed to play. The rocky ground of post-war sexual power-play is tested with bright colours and the happy clack-clack of a typewriter, and leads us somewhere a little more patronising than first-time director Regis Roinsard may have been hoping for. ...

Edinburgh Sustainability Awards

(originally published by The Student )      THE UNIVERSITY is set to launch its first Sustainability Awards to help reduce its environmental impact. A ceremony later in the year will see awards given to the teams which complete the most environmentally friendly challenges in an online workbook provided by the Edinburgh University Students' Association (EUSA).      Last year the University of Edinburgh was accredited Gold in the NUS' Environmental Impact Awards, and was the overall UK winner. This, the two-year-old Green Impact Scheme, compared Universities from across the country in terms of sustainability and global awareness. EUSA's newest venture is a similar scheme within the University itself, encouraging teams to think of new ways to reduce our effect on the world outside of Edinburgh.      Teams can be made up of staff and students in every part of the University, and will be accredited with Bronze, Silver or Go...

The "9ème art" of the Graphic Novel

Images from the Cité du Livre website Festival de Bande Dessinée, Cité du Livre, Aix-en-Provence For some reason I've never been here before. For some reason it's taken this bibliophile seven months to figure out that there is a place in Aix-en-Provence devoted to literature, a place whose name in Google Translate produces variations on the theme of Book City, Book Estate and Book Ghetto. The books, they are huge. We have discussed before how I feel about books. Books which I recently blabbered about in a vlog are here reproduced in thirty-foot-high concrete form and act as a simple external wall to the Book Ghetto. They are huge. I felt a few tears when I first saw them. Hidden unjustly away behind the gare routière , the Cité du Livre played host this month to a graphic novel festival whose speakers ranged from authors to graffiti artists, and whose slightly shabby walls were transformed into booths full of first drafts, coloured panels and authors' not...