Skip to main content

One week at the GICF

     I don't like running in public. It's not far from Glasgow Central Station to the Arches, but I'm still out of breath by the time I get there.
     "I am SO sorry, it took an hour and a HALF to get here from EDINBURGH."
     They like you to be early to pick up press tickets. They like to see your credentials and cross-check everything before handing over a free ticket.
     "Nae bother, it happens. Enjoy the show!"
     Uhm. Okay.
     As it turns out, the show is half an hour late to start anyway, and continues far longer than the normal hour-long slot I'm used to. Since venues aren't booked up 24/7, the Glasgow International Comedy Festival is a lot, and I mean a LOT more relaxed than the Fringe over in Edinburgh. Spanning over a mere two weeks, and mostly occupying the evening, the festival goes on while normal Glaswegian life continues above ground, with none of this traffic-stopping intensity that Edinburgh puts itself through once a year.
I'm here to see the Bratchpiece Family Album, a three-piece of comedians all from the same family. As the audience wander in, pints in hands, they do something I have never seen an audience do before- they walk, nae, scramble, to get to the front seats. Sitting at the front? At a comedy gig??
     In an interview before the gig, Bratchy pointed out that, after the Fringe, all we see is tumbleweed in the capital, while the Glasgow festival is just a kind of exaggeration of what the city is like normally. The Fringe is full of TV-friendly names and tourists, whereas here, audiences are full of mates and family members, stages populated by local heroes and urban legends.
     Having never met my editor, I reviewed The Bratchpieces and a few other shows for The Skinny, a free cultural magazine widely distributed throughout Edinburgh and Glasgow.
Will Setchell
Martin Mor
Keith Farnan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Populaire - film review

     In the 50s, having a job as a secretary may have been considered modern, or even empowering, but mostly, as Rose Pamphyle (Déborah Francois) says in her job interview, it's the chance to work for an important man. Seen in this light, the rise and fall of a Speed-Typing champion is just as much to do with a woman's personal victory as it is to do with her boss' encouragement and coaching, as well as the freedom he allows her to have.      In the film, and in life, the Speed-Typing Championship probably stemmed from a cigar-fuelled "I bet my secretary types faster than yours" argument, and the exclusively female competitors inhabit a space somewhere between real sportsman(woman?)ship and simply being allowed to play. The rocky ground of post-war sexual power-play is tested with bright colours and the happy clack-clack of a typewriter, and leads us somewhere a little more patronising than first-time director Regis Roinsard may have been hoping for. ...

The "9ème art" of the Graphic Novel

Images from the Cité du Livre website Festival de Bande Dessinée, Cité du Livre, Aix-en-Provence For some reason I've never been here before. For some reason it's taken this bibliophile seven months to figure out that there is a place in Aix-en-Provence devoted to literature, a place whose name in Google Translate produces variations on the theme of Book City, Book Estate and Book Ghetto. The books, they are huge. We have discussed before how I feel about books. Books which I recently blabbered about in a vlog are here reproduced in thirty-foot-high concrete form and act as a simple external wall to the Book Ghetto. They are huge. I felt a few tears when I first saw them. Hidden unjustly away behind the gare routière , the Cité du Livre played host this month to a graphic novel festival whose speakers ranged from authors to graffiti artists, and whose slightly shabby walls were transformed into booths full of first drafts, coloured panels and authors' not...

Edinburgh Sustainability Awards

(originally published by The Student )      THE UNIVERSITY is set to launch its first Sustainability Awards to help reduce its environmental impact. A ceremony later in the year will see awards given to the teams which complete the most environmentally friendly challenges in an online workbook provided by the Edinburgh University Students' Association (EUSA).      Last year the University of Edinburgh was accredited Gold in the NUS' Environmental Impact Awards, and was the overall UK winner. This, the two-year-old Green Impact Scheme, compared Universities from across the country in terms of sustainability and global awareness. EUSA's newest venture is a similar scheme within the University itself, encouraging teams to think of new ways to reduce our effect on the world outside of Edinburgh.      Teams can be made up of staff and students in every part of the University, and will be accredited with Bronze, Silver or Go...